Home reading and green travel challenge winners gathered at Leeds Castle for an event celebrating their achievements.
The schools, which had been top performers in challenges for reading reward scheme Buster’s Book Club and green travel initiative Active Wow (Walk on Wednesday), received free tickets for Diggerland and the castle itself.
Both schemes are run by the KM Charity Team, whose chief executive ‑ Simon Dolby ‑ congratulated all the schools and children involved.
Mr Dolby said: “These children thoroughly deserve their day in the spotlight today. I congratulate them for the committed and enthusiastic way they have embraced Buster’s Book Club and Active Wow.
“The two schemes are brilliant ways of helping to improve children’s literacy and health and the local environment, and I would urge other schools to sign up for them now so they are in place for the start of the school year in September.
“They are cheap and simple to administer, and the competitive but fun aspect of the challenges really inspires the children who take part.”
Buster’s Book Club is designed to make reading cool, and sets children home-reading targets. Green travel scheme Active Wow encourages families to leave the car at home for the school run and instead make the journey by walking or cycling; as of September, it will be rebranded as Super Wow.
The two schemes involve inter-class and inter-school events, and prizes include celebrity storytime sessions and free entry to visitor attractions.
Children from across Kent, Medway and Bexley attended the celebration event, along with representatives of supporter organisations Countrystyle Recycling, Whitefriars retail centre, 3R’s Teacher Recruitment, housing group Orbit, Volker Highways, Leeds Castle, Little Cheyne Court Wind Farm Community Fund, Ashford and Maidstone and Medway councils.
To register for Super Wow for the 2018-2019 academic year, visit www.KmCharityTeam.co.uk/Wow or email Sarah Clyne at email@example.com or call 0844 264 0291. Bookings received before July 24 will receive a 20% discount on the price.
To register for Buster’s Book Club for the 2018-19 academic year, visit www.bustersbookclub.co.uk.
Watch a video about the celebrations here:
The Walk to School winners in attendance were:
- Beaver Green Primary School, 3LG class, Ashford district
- Joydens Wood Infant School, Ash class, Dartford district
- Bligh Primary, Willow 1ED class, Medway district
- Loose Primary School, Turquoise class, Maidstone district
- St Francis Catholic Primary School, Miss Holland class, Maidstone district
- Mundella Primary School, Lions class, Shepway
- Regis Manor Primary School, 3V class, Swale district
- Bishops Down Primary School, Larch class, Tunbridge Wells district
The Busters Book Club winners were:
- Willow Bank Primary School, Laburnum class, Bexley district
- Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Primary School, 2ML class, Bexley district
- Chartham Primary School, Parrot class, Canterbury district
- Preston Primary School, class Two, Dover district
- Langdon Primary School, Kandinsky class, Dover district
- Park Way Primary School, Cedar class, Maidstone district
- Archbishop Courtenay CE Primary School, Swift class, Maidstone district
- New Horizons Children’s Academy, Juniper Class, Medway district
- St Nicholas C of E School, Chestnut class, Shepway
- Brenzett CEP School, Cherries class, Shepway district
- Salmestone Primary School, class 2 Polecat, Thanet district