Good causes around the county have been chosen to become the KM Charity of the Year. Newspaper editors from across Kent have selected the group or organisation they will be supporting throughout 2010. Charities and good causes were invited to bid for the title in nine areas of the county covered by the KM Group.
- In Maidstone the Kent Messenger will be backing Stonham, the country’s largest provider of housing and support for vulnerable and socially excluded people.
- The Kentish Gazette at Canterbury has chosen The Kent Multiple Sclerosis Therapy Centre.
- In Ashford the Kentish Express has selected the Pilgrims Hospices.
- In Medway The Friends of The Wisdom Hospice will benefit.
- In Dartford and Gravesend The Abbeyfield Society was picked.
- The East Kent Mercury will be supporting Macmillan Cancer Support Kent.
- Thanet Extra will be backing Thanet Disabled Riding Centre.
- Sheppey Sea Cadets were the choice for Sheerness and in Sittingbourne the local branch of the MS Society was selected.
All of the successful causes will receive the full backing of the newspaper and kmfm, highlighting its work and any special fund-raising projects it undertakes during the year. The KM Charity Team and kmfm also aims to stage one or more fund-raising events to support the selected cause.