The KM Walk To School Team
The Walking Bus is one of the services offered by the KM Walk To School Team and is part of the Kent and Medway Charity Team, providing a link between schools and local authority professionals in Kent setting up or operating walk to school schemes including Walking Bus, Walk on Wednesday (WOW) and Walking Bug.
Many schools have already joined the schemes and their profiles can be found on this website.
The team is a committee made up of volunteers from schools, the media, local councillors and highway staff with the aim of supporting the work of travel planners and road safety officers to expand the network of Walking Buses in Kent and Medway.
The charity works in partnership with the KM Group, Kent's biggest media organisation, and provides a range of services under the broad headings of charitable support; health and wellbeing and walk to school services.
- Exciting. Each year the Kent and Medway Charity Team supports a number of exciting sponsored activities to raise funds for a range of worthy causes, as well as raising money for its own charitable activities.
- Adrenaline. KM Charity Challenge events include sponsored abseil, zip wire, dragon boat race and water zorbing challenges, all of which are run by professional organisations that have public liability insurance cover.
- Big Quiz. The team also organises four record-breaking KM Big Quiz brain challenges events to support our own charity and a host of others.
- Treasure Chest. Kent-based causes can receive free prizes to support their fund-raising raffles and auctions through this initiative.
- Charity of the Year. We can help and advise charities on how to apply to become the KM Group's charity of the Year in one of seven locations in Kent. Causes selected receive publicity through KM Group media and direct fund-raising support from the KM Charity Team.
- Fund-raising. Charities can receive a block of places at one or more of our adrenaline challenge events to raise funds for their own cause.
Health and wellbeing
Our soon to be unveiled healthy lifestyles website will focus on:
- Health and nutrition. A range of recipes including family friendly menus are being created for the new website.
- Pedometer challenge. A competitive virtual race will be staged around the borders of Kent with participants progressing using real life pedometer clicks.
- Recreational walks. The charity is teaming up with the East Kent Health Authority to promote a range of volunteer-led walks in the county.